We’ve been busy over here, as fall is in full swing. You know 6 hour saturdays filled with kids sports, homework, after school activities, and daily dog walks. It feels like we’re always on the go doing something! Most nights have consisted of pumped up mac-n-cheese, breakfast for dinner or take out. Which I’ve decided to have zero shame about doing. Because there is nothing wrong with having french fries every now and then.
I’m also all about my food tasting super good, being easy to make and healthyish. So hence “fancy” grilled cheese”, but in reality it’s not so fancy it all. It just makes you feel fancy after a long week of being mom chauffeur. Oh and don’t forget to have some wine with this meal, it will change your life.
Now let's cook!
“Fancy” GRILLED CHEESE RECIPE | MAKES 6 slices
- 1 loaf of sourdough bread
- 3 -4 Cups types of hard cheese ( I like...manchego, grass fed cheddar, + pecorino romano)
- 1lb heirloom garden tomatoes,
- 1 head of garlic
- Non stick spray, for spraying the pan
- 1 bunch basil
- 1 lemon
- 1 can mayo or veganaise
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt ( red diamond)
- Fresh ground pepper
- 1 lemon
DIRECTIONS: PREHEAT YOUR OVEN TO 375 F
- PREP TOMATOES. Half and de-seed them. Simply squeeze the halves and put the seeds in another bowl.
- Slice your cheese put on a plate and set aside. Thinly slice garlic, basil, set aside. Slice lemon in half, set aside.
- Spray large sheet pan with non stick spray. Cut your loaf of sourdough in even slices. And lay across the pan, pop in the oven for 4 min. Once finished take out and set aside.
- While the toast is crisping. Cook your tomatoes.
- Heat a small pan over medium heat, add a bit of olive oil (enough to coat the bottom of pan), add in your garlic, a pinch of salt + crushed red pepper flakes. Once the garlic is fragrant add the tomatoes, and salt + pepper to taste. Cook for about 5 min or until soft. Take off heat and transfer to bowl. Add in fresh basil, and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, toss and set aside.
- Take your crisp bread and spread each piece with mayo (or veganaise). Then add cheese to bread (however order you like). Pop back in oven for 8-10 minutes until cheese is bubbling and golden.
- When toast are done, simply place your cooked tomatoes over the grilled cheese and enjoy open faced!