apple tart recipe | gluten freeRead More
This summer I’ve been obsessed with experimenting with baking in the kitchen. I’ve also been cooking my way through several cookbooks and having a blast doing it. Not to say there hasn’t been some mishaps but we won’t go into those today.
SAVORY TOMATO GALETTE RECIPE | INSPIRED BY RECIPE IN BON APPETIT MAG
HOT TIPS: PIE DOUGH can be made up to 2 hours to 2 days ahead of this recipe. Make Recipe when you have some time, it's great for SUNDAY AFTERNOONS,OR WEEKENDS. If you're pressed for time buy pre-made pie dough. Because we aren’t all bakers and there is nothing wrong with buying PRE-MADE DOUGH.
PIE TART DOUGH INGREDIENTS:
2 cups gluten free brown rice flour
¼ cup potato starch
¼ cup tapioca starch
2 Tbsp coconut sugar
1 tsp kosher salt
1 cup vegan cashew butter (cold cut into cubes)
4 Tbsp unsweetened cold almond milk
PIE DOUGH ADAPTED FROM ARAN GOYOAGA
2lbs heirloom tomatoes sliced ¼” thick
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 bunch of fresh thyme
1 large egg beaten
Good quality extra virgin olive oil
5 oz mixture of finely grated hard cheese combo (Pecorino Romano, manchego, and sharp grass fed cheddar such as dubliner) or any hard cheese that sounds good!
½ lemon zest / 1 squeeze of fresh lemon juice
1 tsp salt
Bunch of fresh basil
OTHER INGREDIENTS: Parchment Paper Non-stick spray 1 large sheet pan
DIRECTIONS FOR PIE TART DOUGH: NOTE: PIE DOUGH MUST BE MADE 1 HOUR AHEAD
Place your cold cashew butter into the freezer for a min while you measure out all of your dry ingredients.
In a large bowl place your dry ingredients. In a seperate cup add a few ice cubes to the unsweetened almond milk to keep it cold.
With your hands gently mix the cashew butter and dry ingredients together until grainy. Add your almond milk and mix together until dough forms. Gently knead together ensuring not to over work. If it feels wet, add 1 tsp of gf flour to the mix, if feels dry add 1 tbsp of more of cold milk.
When the dough forms, pop some plastic wrap over it and refrigerate for min of 1 hour. NO Cheating here!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees f. In a bowl, place your salt and pick off about 1 tsp thyme. With your fingers take your 1 tsp salt and combine with thyme to make a paste. Then add garlic and mix with figures more. Add in your tomatoes and toss together. Let sit for 5 min, while the tomatoes release some liquid.
- Drain the tomatoes with strainer, and lay flat onto paper towel.
- Grab your dough, unwrap.
- Get a large sheet pan and spray with nonstick spray.
- Measure out parchment paper to fit your sheet pan, place on COUNTER (not on pan). Lightly dust with flour. Place another sheet of parchment paper over the dough and GENTLY roll out into a round shape. If it falls apart (stay calm) and gently sprinkle water or almond milk over the dough until it combines. It should be easy to roll out, but still be gentle.IT DOESN’T HAVE TO BE PERFECT. WONKY IS OKAY, THAT'S why they call it a galette!!
- When it looks even in shape place your finely grated cheese in the middle leaving 1 ½ inch of dough border.
- Add your tomatoes and garlic mixture over cheese. Bring the edges of the dough over the filling using your parchment paper to guide it over. NOTE: SINCE this is GLUTEN FREE you have to be EXTRA GENTLE, pretend you are handling a newborn baby!
- Crack your egg, and whisk with fork in bowl, blend in 1 tsp flaky salt. With a brush wash it over the edges of the dough (not tomatoes). Then POP in FREEZER for 5-10 min. (Basically depending on how patient you are!) After it’s done, take a bunch of fresh thyme and place in the middle of galette or on the edge of the baking sheet.
- Bake on bottom rack for 55-60 minutes until golden. Rotating 1 time.
- When finished, enjoy with a drizzle of olive oil, fresh basil and grated lemon zest!
ENJOY and HAPPY baking ANY QUESTIONS feel free to send me a message!