apple tart recipe | gluten freeRead More
This summer I’ve been obsessed with experimenting with baking in the kitchen. I’ve also been cooking my way through several cookbooks and having a blast doing it. Not to say there hasn’t been some mishaps but we won’t go into those today.
SAVORY TOMATO GALETTE RECIPE | INSPIRED BY RECIPE IN BON APPETIT MAG
HOT TIPS: PIE DOUGH can be made up to 2 hours to 2 days ahead of this recipe. Make Recipe when you have some time, it's great for SUNDAY AFTERNOONS,OR WEEKENDS. If you're pressed for time buy pre-made pie dough. Because we aren’t all bakers and there is nothing wrong with buying PRE-MADE DOUGH.
PIE TART DOUGH INGREDIENTS:
2 cups gluten free brown rice flour
¼ cup potato starch
¼ cup tapioca starch
2 Tbsp coconut sugar
1 tsp kosher salt
1 cup vegan cashew butter (cold cut into cubes)
4 Tbsp unsweetened cold almond milk
PIE DOUGH ADAPTED FROM ARAN GOYOAGA
2lbs heirloom tomatoes sliced ¼” thick
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 bunch of fresh thyme
1 large egg beaten
Good quality extra virgin olive oil
5 oz mixture of finely grated hard cheese combo (Pecorino Romano, manchego, and sharp grass fed cheddar such as dubliner) or any hard cheese that sounds good!
½ lemon zest / 1 squeeze of fresh lemon juice
1 tsp salt
Bunch of fresh basil
OTHER INGREDIENTS: Parchment Paper Non-stick spray 1 large sheet pan
DIRECTIONS FOR PIE TART DOUGH: NOTE: PIE DOUGH MUST BE MADE 1 HOUR AHEAD
Place your cold cashew butter into the freezer for a min while you measure out all of your dry ingredients.
In a large bowl place your dry ingredients. In a seperate cup add a few ice cubes to the unsweetened almond milk to keep it cold.
With your hands gently mix the cashew butter and dry ingredients together until grainy. Add your almond milk and mix together until dough forms. Gently knead together ensuring not to over work. If it feels wet, add 1 tsp of gf flour to the mix, if feels dry add 1 tbsp of more of cold milk.
When the dough forms, pop some plastic wrap over it and refrigerate for min of 1 hour. NO Cheating here!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees f. In a bowl, place your salt and pick off about 1 tsp thyme. With your fingers take your 1 tsp salt and combine with thyme to make a paste. Then add garlic and mix with figures more. Add in your tomatoes and toss together. Let sit for 5 min, while the tomatoes release some liquid.
- Drain the tomatoes with strainer, and lay flat onto paper towel.
- Grab your dough, unwrap.
- Get a large sheet pan and spray with nonstick spray.
- Measure out parchment paper to fit your sheet pan, place on COUNTER (not on pan). Lightly dust with flour. Place another sheet of parchment paper over the dough and GENTLY roll out into a round shape. If it falls apart (stay calm) and gently sprinkle water or almond milk over the dough until it combines. It should be easy to roll out, but still be gentle.IT DOESN’T HAVE TO BE PERFECT. WONKY IS OKAY, THAT'S why they call it a galette!!
- When it looks even in shape place your finely grated cheese in the middle leaving 1 ½ inch of dough border.
- Add your tomatoes and garlic mixture over cheese. Bring the edges of the dough over the filling using your parchment paper to guide it over. NOTE: SINCE this is GLUTEN FREE you have to be EXTRA GENTLE, pretend you are handling a newborn baby!
- Crack your egg, and whisk with fork in bowl, blend in 1 tsp flaky salt. With a brush wash it over the edges of the dough (not tomatoes). Then POP in FREEZER for 5-10 min. (Basically depending on how patient you are!) After it’s done, take a bunch of fresh thyme and place in the middle of galette or on the edge of the baking sheet.
- Bake on bottom rack for 55-60 minutes until golden. Rotating 1 time.
- When finished, enjoy with a drizzle of olive oil, fresh basil and grated lemon zest!
ENJOY and HAPPY baking ANY QUESTIONS feel free to send me a message!
Who doesn’t love CHOCOLATE? I’ve got the perfect cookie for you, with a low glycemic index you won’t feel a crash. And still get to ENJOY your CHOCOLATE! Recipe below!
Tell me what YOU THINK, Or tag me in your BAKING ADVENTURES!
CHEERS + LOVE,
GLUTEN FREE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE RECIPE
- 1 cup vegan butter, or mix of avocado + Olive oil
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 2/3 cup swerve alternate sugar
- 2 pasture eggs
- 2 1/4 cups @bobsredmill GF all purpose baking flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 bag 85 % chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
DIRECTIONS: In large bowl pour all liquid ingredients, mix. Then add one egg at time. Mix again, Set aside.
In a separate bowl measure out dry ingredients, then add to wet ingredients. Add in chocolate chips. Mix together, if dough seems wet, add 1 tablespoon of flour mix and repeat.
Store in fridge for 1 hour to up to 24 hours. Then Bake. At 350 degrees for 15 min, let cool and enjoy!
SAY HELLO! (fill out form below!)
As I stumble over myself trying to come up with the perfect words for this blog post I cant help but become more frozen. The pressure of curating images, and meaningful words seems to have gotten the best of me.
Heavy thoughts cloud my mind, all of life’s goodness and troubles compounding my heart. Seemingly all at once, I tend to fight the waking moments, finding myself in a battle once again over staying underneath the covers hidden when it gets hard. This time the battle hasn’t one; I have the many tools to not covert back to old habits that once destroyed me. Even if it’s the constant reminders of the three brave souls that came from me, the children are always all right; it’s the parents you have to watch out for.
You probably have no idea what I’m talking about; I guess that’s okay. Maybe you get it. Maybe not. Anxiety and depression is a bitch. They are just symptoms of habits you teach yourself to try to stay afloat in the scary world. The thing is since they are just symptoms I can tell them to go away now, and they aren’t needed anymore. Clearly it’s a battle, but more importantly, a battle I can come out on top of. The problem with a lifetime of experiencing trauma is sometimes it does come up. So I chose to meet it, share it instead of tucking it away in a tiny package and pretend it didn’t happen this week. Its not like I fell off the wagon, I guess what I’m trying to say is its just where I was at, that my friends is the truth. I won’t get into the details because it’s not about the details. It isn’t the time or place and I’m not paying you to listen to those boring stories of my traumatic childhood. My goal was to give you a lovely story, a handful of images and a recipe. That is the purpose of this blog right? See, what I mean is things aren’t always, as they seem. Sometimes we even choose to see what we want, that could make our real lives much easier to handle. Or the social media easier to handle. What do you think?
Now where I am today, not yesterday. Today, I feel clear, I am remembering all the new things I taught myself and realized that my shield can go back into the closet until I need to use it again. The world isn’t a scary place and the 4-year-old girl instead me, well she will be okay to. Ramble over.
No recipes to share, but below are some images of my 3-year-old Stella Baking her little heart out.
helpful information ( I promise they aren't too cheesy! ) :
mindful magazine : http://www.mindful.org/magazine/
helpful people and books :