This was one of those recipes that ALMOST got the best of me. The pie dough was trickier than expected and it fell apart numbers of times. BUT I persisted and after many failed attempts I finally succeeded. The final results were well worth all the trouble I went through. The base for this recipe was inspired and adapted from Joy the Baker’s pie method. I am a huge fan of Joy and HONESTLY we wouldn’t be sitting here talking about PIE if it wasn’t for HER and HER pie method! There is something about the milk and butter combo that really worked with the gluten free flour, it held together and really behaved itself. Joy uses butter and buttermilk as part of the pie dough recipe, since I don’t use dairy at all (except eggs) in my recipes I had to come up with an alternative to both. So instead I used vegan butter sticks which work great, and after some experimentation coconut milk with ACV equates to buttermilk beautifully. When this tart comes out of the oven about 20 min after cooling dollup with your favorite vanilla ice cream (vegan or not) and dig in.
Now let’s get baking.
GLUTEN FREE APPLE PIE “TART” RECIPE:
GLUTEN + DAIRY FREE PIE CRUST
2 sticks (8oz) vegan earth balance soy free butter sticks (cold)
2 ½ (12 oz) Bob’s red mill gluten free flour (blue bag mix)
1 tsp xanthan gum
Small pinch of salt
1 can full fat COLD coconut milk
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
½ cup cold coconut milk( full fat) mixed with ACV (see notes in directions)
Unbleached parchment paper
Large cheese grater
Medium / small round tart pan
1 baking sheet
1 lb of dried beans
APPLE TART FILLING
6 organic apples (golden delicious work great)
Lemon juice as needed (about 1- 2 tablespoons)
Pinch of salt
1 tsp organic vanilla extract
¼ cup organic coconut sugar
¾ tsp organic ground ginger
1 tsp organic ground cinnamon
Egg wash, (1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon of cold water )
PIE CRUST DIRECTIONS:
PREP AHEAD; Put your can of can of coconut milk and butter in the fridge overnight. Put About a half an hour before you make your dough stick it in the freezer with wrapper on.
- Take your cold can of coconut milk and add 1 tablespoon ACV (apple cider vinegar) to it and whisk until smooth, put back into the fridge to keep cold.
- In a large wide bowl, whisk all your dry ingredients, your flour, 1 tsp xanthan gum, pinch of salt.
- With a large cheese grated grate your frozen vegan butter over the bowl of dry ingredients, then with your fingers gently mix together and once incorporated you should have pea sized flakes, don’t worry if they aren’t all even its okay if its wonky!
- Grab your coconut milk avc mix, measure out ½ cup, make a well in the middle of your mixture and dump in the mix and continue to fold together until combine. It's going to be a bit wet so on a clean work surface dust out some GF flour and place your dough over it, gentle need into a disk. Refrigerate for 1 hour or 24 hours if your making later.
- After dough has chilled, preheat the oven to 425 degrees. We are going to BLIND bake a pie crust.
- On a clean work surface, toss on some GF flour and GENTLY roll out your dough. Be sure to have your tart dish ready next to you. Roll out the dough and gently place over your tart dish. IF it breaks use your fingers to mold it back together, its okay just go with it. If it does need putting back together after you mold it, pop in the freezer for 10 min.
- Grab a baking pan and some parchment paper. Take out your pie crust, poke with fork all over. Then completely cover and wrap with parchment paper and place on the baking sheet. Take one more sheet of paper and put it over the pie fill with your dries beans.
- Place in the oven for about 12-15 min or until the bottom of your crust sets and does not bubble. Take out the beans and paper.
- LOWER the OVEN to 350 degrees Let cool. Meanwhile make your pie tart filling.
- Clean, core and thinly slice your apples. Place in a bowl and add 2 tablespoons lemon juice to them. It’s your choice if you want to leave the skin on, for this recipe I did. (if you take the skin off you can make a crumble for the top)
- In a small bowl whisk your sugar, pinch of salt, ground cinnamon and ginger.
- Take your sugar mix and mix it with the apples, add in your vanilla and combine.
- When your crust finished place the apples inside with skins up and smoosh together side by side lining the whole tart. Break up 1 tablespoon of vegan butter and place it sporadically around the top of the pie.
- Take your egg was and wash all the crust edges with a brush. Wrap in parchment paper once again so the crust does not burn. Bake for 30-45 until the apples are soft. And about 25 min in you can take off the paper and bake the remaining time without.
- Once finished baking place on a cooling rack for 20-30 min, serve warm with your favorite vanilla ice cream or whipped cream!